- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 4 ounces mild turkey Italian sausage
- 1 ounce shredded provolone cheese
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine breadcrumbs, basil, pine nuts, fennel seeds, sausage, and cheese in a medium bowl.
Cut chicken breast halves horizontally to form 4 cutlets; pound each cutlet to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Sprinkle evenly with pepper and salt.
Divide sausage mixture among cutlets. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle flour evenly over rolls.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil; swirl.
Add rolls to pan, seam side down; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
Turn; place pan in oven.
Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until done.
Remove chicken from pan.
Return pan to medium-high heat. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is reduced by half, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
Add chicken stock; cook 3 minutes. Stir in parsley. Remove toothpicks; cut rolls into 1/2-inch slices. Serve with sauce.
Finish off this simple-yet-fancy stuffed chicken dish with a side of sautéed Broccolini for a complete, healthy dinner.